I have found a technique through experimentation that I quite like for giving shots of moving water some extra “oompph”.
I used it to create the above photo.
Here’s what the water looked like before I applied the effect
… and here’s what it looked like after the effect.
Here’s how I did the effect.
1) Add a colour balance adjustment layer
2) Add some blue and green into the midtones of the colour balance adjustment
3) Change the blend mode of the colour balance adjustment layer to “multiply”
4) Invert your mask so it is all black
5) Use a white brush to pain on the mask where you want to add drama to the water
6) Reduce opacity if required.