On the last day of the workshop, Mark Stothard, Bruce and myself joined Dan from West Coast Active to do a canyoning trip through the Karijini gorges. Dan could get us into places that most people don’t see. At the point where all three gorges meet, you get to junction pool. There is this incredible tree growing out of the water, and we were lucky enough to get the rays of light hitting it before the sun started setting behind the cliff top. I loved the backlighting and contrast between the colours.
- This was a single image (no HDR or exposure blending)… Who needs a Phase One anyway!!!
- I started off doing Bruce Margolis’s “Man from Mars” move on the image. I think I’ll be using this technique a lot for my Karijini images. It use LAB adjustments to essentially pull colours apart without saturating them. I liked the blues and reds in the cliff, and this technique allowed me to empahasise them without cranking up saturation.
- Then I did some dodge/burn on the cliff,
- Darkened the tree and water a bit by using a luminosity mask in multiply mode
- A bit of darkening of the edge using curves.
Plenty more Karijini stuff to come